Monday, January 4, 2016

Starting the year with a cold


Today we woke up to cold weather and unfortunately, I also woke up with a cold. All the symptoms of a normal cold. Sneezing, coughing, runny nose, the works.

Instead of waiting until it gets worse and going to the doctor, I am going to try something new. Goldenseal, touted as a natural, mild, antibiotic. It's something I have been using for awhile as an eye wash.

My eyewash formula is Goldenseal in a saline solution (an equal mix of 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 cup of warm water and a dropper of Goldenseal). Since my problem has been a congested eye that just doesn't want to stay open in the morning, I can say this is a real eye opener--works every time. I have read that it should not be used consistently longer than three weeks.

My daughter has also been adding Goldenseal to her nasal rinses (basically the same mixture as above) and it has helped her to prevent secondary infections that normally are the aftermath of a cold. She has been using it so successfully that I am giving it a try time time for my cold.

I originally bought organic Alvita tea and brewed it. (1 tea bag, 1 cup hot water, let it steep at least 15 to 30 minutes) The cooled tea brew is a great eye wash without any saline. It can also be used as a gargle, plus I have just downed the tea, but I will tell you, it really is a bitter brew. The tea recommends using it for digestive health, though I have not tried it for that.


I have plans to order some rhizomes to plant in the woody area behind my house. I would love to harvest Goldenseal and dry it to make my own tea. This is an eventual goal, because in addition to it being hard to grow, it is also in danger of becoming extinct.

Until then, I will use the tea and the drops I have purchased, and I am so glad I have them. This is the worst-smelling herb I have ever raved about.

Should everyone try it? Probably not. If you have any major health issue, consult with your doctor before trying it and don't be surprised if the doctor might not be a fan of this (or any) herbal remedy. 

Thankfully, I am in good health and I am enjoying the benefits of Goldenseal even if the taste reminds me of old gym socks.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you've started the year with a cold! Let us know how the herbal remedy works!

    ReplyDelete